Saturday, July 23, 2016

Hype Train


 We've all heard or seen those people online, that brag about this "amazing" beer they had.  Of coarse they like to point out that they've had it and you haven't.  It really makes us feel like we're missing out on something truly special.  Sometimes we may be, but most of the time we're not.
 This year, I've made it a goal to get a hold of as many of the sought after beers as I can.  In most cases, they've been good beers that I'd be glad to drink again.  In some cases, they were not good at all.  Almost none of them lived up to the hype.

Daisy Cutter Pale Ale is one such beer.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this beer, and would hoppily (see what I did there?) drink it again.  But if you listen to the praises online about this brew, you'd think that you would be transported into this fantastic beer nirvana the moment you had your first sip.  That didn't happen, it was just a really solid Pale Ale.  One that I would buy again, but there are also several Iowa Pale Ales that I would choose over this one.

I guess my point is, don't believe the hype.  Many people will talk about beers that are supposed to be great because they think that's what they're supposed to say, not because they truly believe it.  If you think Busch Light is the  best beer you've ever had, own it, if it's Daisy Cutter, more power to you.  You should be more concerned with enjoying what you like, than drinking what is currently "cool" or "it" in the beer community.
 My 10 year old son, Joseph is in his first year of 4H.  He joined so he could show our dog Arson.  For weeks he practiced with Arson on showmanship, obedience, rally, and agility.  He also learned more about how to properly take care of a dog (like cleaning ears, brushing, feeding, and vaccinations) and even learned a little history on the dog's breed.

It all led up to fair day.  It was a warm and muggy July day, that started with a 7am check in and went until after 1:00.  Joseph did a great job working with Arson and staying upbeat, even when things didn't go so well (like the sit and stay portion of obedience.  By the end of the fair, Joseph and Arson came away with 1 first place ribbon for showmanship (helped by the fact that Joseph learned so much about his dog,) and 2 third place ribbons in rally and agility, where he competed against many kids several years older than himself.  It was a proud parent moment seeing his hard work pay off, and how he kept his composure throughout the whole process.  It's interesting being a parent and watching your child grow and mature.  It was also my first experience with 4H.  It's nice to see a group help children learn good habits, like work ethic, responsibility, and community outreach.  He's already talking about doing it again next year.
I've said it before, but we finally have a date and time set.  Our next podcast will be recorded at Pulpit Rock Brewery in Decorah, IA in less than 2 weeks.  I will post the link here when it's up and running, I really think this will be a good one!

Follow me on Twitter: @Crinkletalk
Untappd:  Crinkletalk

No comments:

Post a Comment